LXC/cgroups process group scheduling in linux 3.18+

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 06:40:50 EDT 2015

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 1:13 AM, Nobin Mathew <nobin.mathew at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apologises if I am asking a dump question.
>

> Is there any support for container(lxc/cgroups) scheduling in linux
> scheduler(3.18+). I want to use only unprivileged containers.
>
> Basically I want to give more priority to processes in a
> container(basically to app in the container). Can we use RT scheduling?.
>
> one more question is how process scheduling happens inside the
> container(lxc/cgroups), is it like for some time(till the next container is
> selected), only processes inside container(lxc/cgroups) is scheduled?
>
> Thanks

Hello Robin

If I understand LXC correctly (and container in broad term), then there is
no difference in scheduling context between process started from LXC and
process started by exec().

This is because LXC does OS level virtualization, thus the result is
similar like running normal application. The only difference is that LXC is
doing name space, PID space etc so they have their own universe.

A very different experience happen if let's say you use KVM or Xen. There,
hypervisor is the only thing visible in the host user space. Process etc
completely live inside the hypervisor.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable steps in and give better enlightenment

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant