use of dev->dev_t

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Mar 17 17:13:43 EDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 08:43:38PM +0000, Malte Vesper wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to write a driver that uses the MINOR(dev_t) to identify
> cards. Since it is a PCI driver and I get pcidev->dev.dev_t anyway. I
> thought about not bothering to store the minor number of the device.
> However if I look at pcidev->dev.dev_t in the remove function (the
> driver frameworks remove), I always get pcidev->dev.dev_t == 0.

That dev_t is not for your use, sorry, it is for the driver core to use,
if it needs/wants to for a class device.  A PCI driver should never need
to be a char device, but if it does, you have to make your own calls to
the character device core.

What type of PCI device is this?  Why do you want to have a character
device node for it?

thanks,

greg k-h