kernel development returning to after 10 years

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sun Mar 15 05:01:13 EDT 2015

 Hello

 I'm taking a class on operating systems and it includes, happily,
 many Linux examples, outlining OS internal structures and algorithms.
 I wanted to delve into the Scheduler, particularly the CFS that has
 been implemented and to try running and testing things such as what
 is outlined here

 http://www.embedded.com/design/operating-systems/4371651/Comparing-the-real-time-scheduling-policies-of-the-Linux-kernel-and-an-RTOS-

 In order to do this, I need to compile and code the Kernel and
 Kernel modules.  I've done this many many time in years gone
 by, but the current kernel has seemed to have grown even more
 than I anticipated.  For those who work on the kernel and drivers
 everyday, what would you recommend as a best approach to tinker
 with the scheduler or even tinker with struct.h entries.

 I set up a VM with oracles virtualbox, and even that was new to
 me.  I used to keep a usb drive to development and rebooting
 when I last attempted this.

 Ruben