I want to remove my current kernel after upgradtion of new kernel

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Mar 3 08:03:50 EST 2015

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 17:12:44 +0530, Anurudh Tiwari said:

> I have to remove my current kernel(which is going to be old kernel in next
> reboot) after up-gradation because i don't want to get prompt to choose the
> kernel at booting time.

Protip:

You *really* want to keep at least one extra known-working kernel on your /boot
just in case you find a bug in the one you installed. If you don't like getting
prompted, set up grub or grub2 or whatever to boot a default kernel, with a
timeout of 1 second or so, so that if you ignore it, it boots into your default
kernel, but if things go sideways you can boot the old kernel.

And remember - it doesn't have to be a *kernel* bug - if  something decidess to
rebuild your initrd/initramfs, and botches it, you're going to havea bad time
at the next reboot. So you really want a known-bootable kernel/initrd pair
or two on /boot just in case...