Kernel contributions from organisations and individual privacy

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jun 11 23:31:49 EDT 2015

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 19:26:23 -0400, Ruben Safir said:

> Lets say Apple decides that are going to take the Linux Kernel and
> alter it extensively, in order for it to work with a new hardware platform
> that they created. And lets say don't return the code base to the public.
> Now who is going to protect the license and sue them?  You have literaly
> thousands of partiticpants who have standing now in this case.  Apple can just
> blow there nose at you if they are willing to put up with the bad publicity.

They can't just blow their nose at actual lawsuits.  Even Apple's pockets aren't
deep enough to survive several thousand contempt of court judgments when
they try to blow off several thousand lawsuits.

And I suspect Apple doesn't want that much bad publicity - the *last* thing
they need is showing up in the news as a bunch of selfish bozos.  Remember that
the Jobs Reality Distortion Field can only reach so far and do so much....