Kernel contributions from organisations and individual privacy

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Jun 11 01:19:56 EDT 2015

On 06/11/2015 01:10 AM, Chris Packham wrote:
> It's not a concern for the _employer

If the copyright is owned by the company then ONLY the company can push
it up stream and assign copyright to the Linux Foundation.  But there is
an inherent problem and it sort of bothers me which is why I'm responding.

It may be the case that someone can not keep their identity a secret and
contribute to the kernel.  If you want to keep your identity a secret
there are a WHOLE SLEW of things you can't do because they require
public identification.  It is NOT true that they can't contribute to the
kernel because they "value" their privacy.  They can not contribute
because it is a PUBLIC act and LEGAL public act.  And you can't do this,
perhaps, anymore than you could run for office anonymous, or take an
active roll in any political activity.  And that is good thing.

Ruben