About Minimum HDD size for Kernel Compilation

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jun 5 12:52:14 EDT 2015

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 15:19:54 +0530, Mayur Patil said:

>    If I have downloaded any kernel from kernel.org site, I want to install it
>    how much *minimum size of H I require to compile  and install it*?

Well... the kernel I'm running now compiles in only 2.6G of disk space.

The fun is "what else is needed" - if you use git, that's another 1.2G for
the current git tree.  You'll need a toolchain including compilers etc.

You'll need a userspace.  If you already have one and are just redoing
the kernel, then it's not as big a problem.

>   My experience: I have compiled 3.10 kernel on VMware Workstation which had
>   taken 40 to 60 GB of Hard Disk,

That's because you had to install a userspace in the virtual machine.
Exactly how much that takes will depend on the distro you select and
install options (full/minimal/devel-tools/funkychicken/poweruser/etc)