Obfuscate code GPL 2 - The source uses kernel structs and GPL2 API

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jul 21 16:27:28 EDT 2015

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 20:13:48 -0000, Jeff Haran said:
> But it seems to me that if it builds, then they’ve released the code.

No - the GPLv2 says:

"The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
control compilation and installation of the executable." (yadda yadda)

So unless the engineers *prefer* the obfuscated form, they really haven't
distributed the source code.

(IANAL, I'm a code hacker, and all that. All legal advice is worth what
you paid for it...)