Query on operstatus for link, can I change it?

Amit Agarwal amit at amit-agarwal.co.in
Tue Jul 14 08:13:56 EDT 2015

Hi,

I am looking for a way to change the operstatus shown for the network
interface.

Problem:
I have an extra interface on the machine that I would like to use for some
program like tcpreplay and tcpdump/wireshark. So, I would like to play a pcap
file on this interface and then capture on the same interface with wireshark.
Now the problem with this is that unless a cable is plugged in I do not see
any packets in wireshark, although I do not see any failures in sending the
packets. I would like to do this without any cable being
plugged in as I do not intend to send the packets out, is this possible?

The reason I cannot use lo interface for doing this is: there will be other
packets on the lo interface and I want to capture only the packets in the pcap
file that I am playing with tcpreplay.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

--
 Thanks,
-aka