I need help understanding how to locate implementation of rdmsr_safe_regs() in the linux kernel

Marty 3daughterdad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 11:08:21 EDT 2015

I am presently working with Model Specific Registers and have been studying
the kernel module implementation found in arch/x86/kernel/msr.c. I am
attempting to understand what the implementation of the
msr_ioctl(X86_IOC_RDMSR_REGS)
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/x86/kernel/msr.c?v=3.8#L124>
call is doing.

msr_ioctl(X86_IOC_RDMSR_REGS) calls rdmsr_safe_regs_on_cpu()
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/x86/lib/msr-smp.c#L242>
(arch/x86/lib/msr-smp.c, line 180) which sets up __rdmsr_safe_regs_on_cpu
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/x86/lib/msr-smp.c#L228>()
(arch/x86/lib/msr-smp.c, line 166) as a callback function to perform the
actual work. This callback function then calls rdmsr_safe_regs().

I am unable to find the implementation for rdmsr_safe_regs(). lxr
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/ident?i=rdmsr_safe_regs> only mentions
references and a prototype definition.

I've also manually grepped through the entire kernel source tree and have
not been able to find where rdmsr_safe_regs is defined.

I have poked around online, but have so far not been able to generate the
correct query to find an answer.

Can someone point me to the right documentation where I can figure this
out?

Thanks,

Marty