workqueues - how to use them correctly

Roshan A roshan.len at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 03:50:48 EST 2015

hi all,

My question is regarding the correct use of workqueues. I have a
driver which queues a work item in the interrupt handler. The bottom
half function ( the workitem -function ) does have proper locking (
mutex ) in place for atomicity.

With this setup, since the interrupts are enabled, it's possible to
have a scenario where, when one workitem is being executed, another
can be queued up, which results in the workitems being executed in
parallel, however since there is a mutex, one thread will sleep.

is this particular scenario considered bad or discouraged ?

Thank you,
-Roshan