Does CPU set the Referenced bit Memory Management

Rakhi Hemani rakhih at iiitd.ac.in
Thu Feb 5 03:06:27 EST 2015

Hi,

I want to understand the mechanism by which linux marks a page as
referenced.

According to the documentation in "Understanding The Linux Virtual Memory
Manager" Figure 11.6 and Table 3.1, there is a bit PG_referenced that can
be queried to test if the page was accessed.

I want to ask if the CPU can/does set that bit. Also, is this bit set on a
LLC miss or on a TLB access?

Thanks a lot. Please tell me if there are some manuals/other forums I could
refer to for this question.

--
Rakhi Hemani
Phd Scholar