Developing environments used for kernel development

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 12:14:15 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Daniel. <danielhilst at gmail.com> wrote:
> My boss came to my desk today raiging that I should use more
> productive tools for developing. Well I don't want to begin an editor
> war but, yes, I use emacs. I used to use vim before but the
> integration of emacs and gdb has caught my attention.
>
> To be clear, as "more productive tools" he understands graphical eye
> candy tools. My argument to use an "simple editor plus makefiles"
> was, it just works and thats it. So before to downloading eclipse
> just to make my boss's eyes happy I've decided to make a little
> research.
>
> What you guys are using today to develope kenrel code?

While in virtual console, I use midnight commander's built in editor
for the bulk of my actual dev work.

Then when I need to email anything, I switch to gui and use gedit to
open the file, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into my email
client for patch delivery.

My criteria is "hold the text and stay the hell out of my way.  Be a
tool and don't try to do my thinking for me."