Developing environments used for kernel development

Clemens Gruber clemens.gruber at pqgruber.com
Tue Dec 22 17:15:18 EST 2015

Hi Daniel,

> My boss came to my desk today raiging that I should use more productive
> tools for developing. Well I don't want to begin an editor war but, yes, I
> use emacs. I used to use vim before but the integration of emacs and gdb
> has caught my attention.

emacs and vim are both very powerful editors, each with their own pros
and cons, but both very suitable for developing code!
I don't think it's a good idea for a boss to force his devs into using
some GUI IDE like Eclipse.
Personally, I don't like it because it is slow (Hi Java!) and does too much
stuff which I do not need when writing and debugging non-Java code.

If you are already used to Emacs and gdb mode, that's great.

Recently I am more and more using (g)vim and discovered a nice vim plugin:
NERDTree https://github.com/scrooloose/nerdtree (A tree explorer plugin)

Oh and there is also cgdb: https://github.com/cgdb/cgdb

Cheers,
Clemens