Process for adding a new source(driver) to linux kernel tree

victorascroft at gmail.com victorascroft at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 06:44:45 EDT 2015

On 15-08-28 16:28:36, Raul Piper wrote:
> HI,
> I wanted to know what is the process for adding a new source(say driver) to
> the kernel tree.I am not asking for how to add a driver ( like modifying
> make file, Kconfig, adding driver to staging or my_driver folder) but the
> process for adding it to the source tree Like :
> - which branch to add

This depends on the subsystem the driver will use. For eg. IIO or USB. Accordingly
it the patches should be generated on top of the said subsystem maintainer's branch.
So for USB it will be greg's usb git branch.

> -Any format of the files or directory

What do you mean here?

> - whom to mail(maintainer,developer,tester,etc)
> - Do I have to upload any test results

This depends. If you were to be writing a NAND driver, you would have to provide
mtdtests results.

> - Do I have to build it for any minimum number of platforms

Some predefined configs should be build checked.

> - Do I need to send mail to the maintainer of that subsystem or fraemwork?

Of course!!!! How else will you submit your work? Run getmaintainers.pl on
your patchset.

> - Any tool to run the coding conventions checks,bugs checks,Memory leak
> checks,etc

Coding conventions can be checked with checkpatch.pl. The rest is suppose
to be non existent in the driver you write!!!!

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/development-process/
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/CodingStyle
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/SubmittingDrivers
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/SubmittingPatches