Identify Beacon Frame

Anand Moon moon.linux at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 28 15:11:09 EDT 2015

Hi All,

On Friday, August 28, 2015 11:44 PM, Avinash Patil <avinashapatil at gmail.com> wrote:
Well..from userspace application you need to register which subtype of
frames you want to receive.
This is done with netlink sockets. You can check
hostapd/wpa_supplicant sources to see how this is done.

http://w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/

I assume you are using newer kernel e.g. 3.0 onwards.
Old kernels did not support cfg80211; also your WLAN device driver
needs to support mgmt register and mgmt rx.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/80211/API-struct-cfg80211-ops.html

Thanks,
Avinash

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Gunjan Mehta <gunjanmehta08 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Avinash,
>
> Ya m talking about the WLAN.
> can you just throw some more light on cfg802.11 handlers.
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:24 PM, Avinash Patil <avinashapatil at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gunjan,
>>
>> Are you talking about WLAN beacon frames? If so, you can you cfg80211
>> handlers to register management frames and once frame is received
>> parse frame type/subtype to check if its beacon.
>> I dont think beacon frames are delievered to netdev.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Avinash
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Gunjan Mehta <gunjanmehta08 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Then how do i capture the beacon frames?

If the interface support monitor mode. Then you can capture any packet.

iw dev wlan0 interface add mon0 type monitor flags none
ifconfig mon0 up

Now you can capture all the packets on mon0 interface.

-Anand Moon