Planning to write a patch

Umair Khan omerjerk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 13:45:05 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking of writing a patch a lot lately. But with my level of
knowledge I cannot do something groundbreaking.
One thing which came to my mind is to write a patch related to the driver
which controls the brightness of the display.
What happens now is I lower down the brightness, and when I restart the
laptop, it's back to the highest amount.
I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on top of Linux Kernel 4.2 rc3+.
I was thinking of writing the current brightness to sysfs and read that
value when the driver is started during the boot.

So, my question is that is it already implemented in the driver and just
that Ubuntu resets it on every reboot from userspace ?
And if it is not implemented, is it worth implementing ?

Thanks
Umair
Delhi, India