module debugging

Salam Farhat salalimo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 07:46:37 EDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 8:33 AM, <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:06:58 -0400, Salam Farhat said:
>
> > I am using a kernel module that I modified slightly to work on my current
> > kernel version. It is running on a virtual machine and on a heavy load it
> > goes into an infinite loop and freezes the system. I can tell that the
> > virtual machine is using 100% of its assigned cpu.
>
> Try giving the VM a second virtual CPU, if you have only one CPU and it
> gets hung sufficiently hard, the debugging stuff won't have a chance to
> run.
>
> Oh, and make sure you configure your kernel for SMP.

It has 4 cores and kernel is already configured for smp.

Sysrq is a pretty cool option, but other than reboot almost no other
commands run including 'e', 'f', ;i;.

It seems I might have to resort to debugging by the process of elimination
(removing code until it doesn't hang and so on.. ).

Any other ideas I would appreciate it.