module debugging

Salam Farhat salalimo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 07:06:58 EDT 2015

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the place to ask, if so please let me know where
to do so.

I am using a kernel module that I modified slightly to work on my current
kernel version. It is running on a virtual machine and on a heavy load it
goes into an infinite loop and freezes the system. I can tell that the
virtual machine is using 100% of its assigned cpu. There are print
statements almost everywhere in the module, but after a few seconds none
get printed.

The kernel has the following options already enabled:
CONFIG_DETECT_SOFTLOCKUP  and

CONFIG_DETECT_HUNG_TASK. To my understanding the kernel is supposed to
print the stack trace when a hung task is detected, however, nothing gets
printed in kern.log. I am not sure if this is the place where the kernel
would dump the stack or if the print process is affected by the hang since
the print statements in the module are not being printed as well.

I would like to know how to debug this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.