Comprehensive Linux API manual by subsystem Required

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Aug 21 04:18:45 EDT 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 00:48:26 -0400, Aruna Hewapathirane said:

> >> I am developing a user space program which interacts with "file system"
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/filesystems/index.html
>
> > and "cryptography"
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/crypto-API/index.html
>
> The best documentation IS right there in the kernel source :)

And to address why there isn't a comprehensive API manual:

Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt

Unless you install the tools and do a 'make kerneldoc' yourself, any manual
of the API will quickly grow out of date. The diffstat from v4.0 to v4.1 was:

 10094 files changed, 454027 insertions(+), 253911 deletions(-)

That's more churn than anybody can document - which is why LDD3, although
an excellent book, is no longer in sync with the source.

Also, some free advice: If this is for production use and not a toy project,
find an actual security/crypto expert and have them do a review.  Even better
if they are onboard during the design phase. Crypto is easy to do, but a total
bitch to do *right*.

If you don't believe me, go look at how many times OpenSSL has been broken
in the past 2 years or so.