Questions on Netlink sockets

Bhaskar Upadhyayula bu.kernel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:07:08 EDT 2015

Hi Rami,

Thanks for the response. With the help of a colleague, I was able to
debug the issue. I was not *nesting* the attributes and not adjusting
the attribute lengths properly. I am still figuring out how nesting
works exactly and the need for it.

If anyone is interested, attaching the working code (inline as well,
if attachment is not permitted on kernelnewbies).

Thanks.

PS: I am humbled to see a reply from you. I read Chapter 2 from your
book to understand netlink sockets.

=======
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <linux/netlink.h>
#include <linux/rtnetlink.h>

#define MAX_PAYLOAD 2048

/* All globals initialized to 0 */
struct sockaddr_nl src, dst;
struct iovec iov;
struct msghdr msg;
int sock_fd;

struct {
    struct nlmsghdr  n;
    struct ifinfomsg i;
    char             buf[MAX_PAYLOAD];
} req;

#define NLMSG_TAIL(nmsg) \
        ((struct rtattr *) (((void *) (nmsg)) + NLMSG_ALIGN((nmsg)->nlmsg_len)))

/* Function from libnetlink.h */
int addattr_l(struct nlmsghdr *n, int maxlen, int type, const void *data,
          int alen)
{
    int len = RTA_LENGTH(alen);
    struct rtattr *rta;

    if (NLMSG_ALIGN(n->nlmsg_len) + RTA_ALIGN(len) > maxlen) {
        fprintf(stderr, "addattr_l ERROR: message exceeded bound of
%d\n",maxlen);
        return -1;
    }
    rta = NLMSG_TAIL(n);
    rta->rta_type = type;
    rta->rta_len = len;
    memcpy(RTA_DATA(rta), data, alen);
    n->nlmsg_len = NLMSG_ALIGN(n->nlmsg_len) + RTA_ALIGN(len);
    return 0;
}

void usage()
{
    fprintf(stderr, "Incorrect usage\n");
    fprintf(stderr, "./nl <vlan_intf_name> <intf_name> <vlan_id>\n");
}

void dumpData(const char *note, const char *msg, unsigned int len)
{
    // no error checks
    unsigned int i;

    //fprintf(stderr, "\n%s(%u):\n", note, len);

    for(i=0; i<len; ++i) {
        fprintf(stderr, "%02X ",msg[i]);

        if (i>0 && i%15 == 0)
            fprintf(stderr, "\n");
    }

    fprintf(stderr,"\n");
}

void main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    char *type, *intf_name, *vlan_intf_name;
    __u16   vlan_id;
    int     ifindex;

    if (argc != 4) {
        usage();
        return;
    }

    vlan_intf_name = argv[1];
    intf_name = argv[2];
    vlan_id = atoi(argv[3]);

    fprintf(stderr, "%s, %s, %d\n", vlan_intf_name, intf_name, vlan_id);
    sock_fd = socket(AF_NETLINK, SOCK_RAW, NETLINK_ROUTE);
    if (sock_fd < 0)
        return;

    memset(&src, 0, sizeof(src));
    memset(&dst, 0, sizeof(dst));
    memset(&req, 0, sizeof(req));

    /* Details of source end of socket */
    src.nl_family   = AF_NETLINK;
    src.nl_pid      = getpid();

    bind(sock_fd, (struct sockaddr *)&src, sizeof(src));

    /* Details of destination side of socket */
    dst.nl_family   = AF_NETLINK;

    req.n.nlmsg_len = NLMSG_SPACE(sizeof(struct ifinfomsg));
    req.n.nlmsg_pid = getpid();
    req.n.nlmsg_type = RTM_NEWLINK;
    req.n.nlmsg_flags = NLM_F_REQUEST | NLM_F_CREATE ;//| NLM_F_EXCL;

    ifindex = if_nametoindex(intf_name);

    req.i.ifi_family = AF_UNSPEC;
    //req.i.ifi_index  = ifindex;
    struct rtattr *linkinfo = NLMSG_TAIL(&req.n);
    addattr_l(&req.n, sizeof(req), IFLA_LINKINFO, NULL, 0);
    addattr_l(&req.n, sizeof(req), IFLA_INFO_KIND, "vlan", 4);
    struct rtattr * data = NLMSG_TAIL(&req.n);
    addattr_l(&req.n, sizeof(req), IFLA_INFO_DATA, NULL, 0);
    addattr_l(&req.n, sizeof(req), IFLA_VLAN_ID, &vlan_id, 2);
    data->rta_len = (void *)NLMSG_TAIL(&req.n) - (void *)data;
    linkinfo->rta_len = (void *)NLMSG_TAIL(&req.n) - (void *)linkinfo;
    addattr_l(&req.n, sizeof(req), IFLA_LINK, &ifindex, 4);
    addattr_l(&req.n, sizeof(req), IFLA_IFNAME, vlan_intf_name,
strlen(vlan_intf_name)+1);

    /* send msg to kernel */
    if( send(sock_fd, &req, req.n.nlmsg_len, 0) < 0)
       fprintf(stderr, "failed write\n");

    //dumpData("Dst socket", (char *)msg.msg_name, msg.msg_namelen);
    dumpData("Netlink msg", (char *)&req.n, req.n.nlmsg_len);

    close(sock_fd);
}

=======