Kernel Debugging using Qemu

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 22:17:41 EDT 2015

Hi,

If anyone uses Qemu can someone please show me how to get started ?

I tried :

sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -s -S -kernel arch/x86/boot/bzImage -initrd
/boot/initrd.img-4.1.2-vtaqemu+ /dev/zero

And it does allow me to access through gdb using target remote
localhost:1234 but when I set a breakpoint in kernel_start and
continue it hangs and tells me /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control
turned off ?

I am runing a Debian 4.1.2 custom kernel. I have enabled Intel
virtulization in the bios. And menuconfig have setup virtualization.

After many tries have finally managed to get this far but now I can
use all the help I can get.

And and all suggestions, guidance, *pointers are most welcome.

Thanks - Aruna