signals handling in kernel

Pranay Srivastava pranjas at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 13:39:26 EDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 6:38 PM, KASHISH BHATIA
<kashish.bhatia1989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to write a module which will spawn two kthreads where kthread-1 will
> send signal X to kthread-2 and kthread-2 has registered a signal handler to
> catch signal X. When the signal X is caught by kthread-2, it will execute
> its signal handler.

Again instead of signal, let's call it notification. I'm not saying
it's not possible cuz I've not done it but there are other
alternatives.

In your kthread loop, you check for condition <to_do_something>, then
continue or exit based on that notification. Even with
signals you'll have something like recalc_sigpending and then take
action on that signal, usually exiting from that thread but
this logic needs to be in that kthread loop.  Your kthread may well
continue if you so choose to ignore signals altogether.

> Just am exploring signal handing and its intricacies, so thought of this
> exercise. Is it possible ?

Have you checked how signals are sent and handled within kernel?

--
        ---P.K.S