What is my i2c device slave address?

Raul Piper raulpblooper at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 14:37:04 EDT 2015

>Thanks for the manual.  Now I believe the client address of this chip
should be set to either 0x4a or 0x4b. The only problem left is how do I
>know what is the ADDR_SEL status? Since I see in the driver code there is
no a line that is setting up this pin, so can I assume that the >ADDR_SEL
is hard-wired on my board and I just need to ask my hardware engineer to do
a measure on the pin, right?

You have to see the h/w schematic of the controller for this.Other way is
i2c detect utility which I mentioned above.Run it and see if the address is
0x4a or 0x4b.
Yes you can definitely ask the hardware engineer.

>Another not so related thing is that I also noticed that there are still
other two addresses  that can be used to do firmware upgrading. I just
>read this from the driver code and also want to know if it is necessary in
my case to concern about downloading a firmware to the chip? I >really hope
things won't go such complicated and the chip should simplify work as long
as I correctly setup and load the linux driver for it.  >Do you also has an
idea about this?

I think that means your controller has a bootloader (and hence other two
address - may be one for ADDR_SEL -  high and another for ADDR_SEL - low )
and the firmware can be updated via Host as well.Are you using any kernel
firmware update interface?something like this :
http://www.makelinux.net/ldd3/chp-14-sect-8 .n that case you must be having
the bin file which needs to be placed in the /etc/firmware directory from
which your host will pick the file and update the cntroller firmware.But be
aware that you must know what protocol is being used by your hardware for
this updation(ymodem,xmodem,etc).