Structure declaration without its members variables

Jeff Haran Jeff.Haran at citrix.com
Mon Apr 27 12:47:38 EDT 2015

This does not seem to be true, though I had to fiddle with the definitions of structs a and b to get gcc to not generate syntax errors:

[jharan at js1]~/dev/c_fun/3$ cat main.c
#include <stdio.h>

struct a {
      int b, c, d;
      struct b *b_ptr;
};

struct b {
        int foo, bar, baz;
        struct a *a_ptr;
};

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
        struct a a1;
        struct b b1;

        printf("address of a1 %p, address of b1 %p\n", &a1, &b1);
        return 0;
}
[jharan at js1]~/dev/c_fun/3$ gcc main.c
[jharan at js1]~/dev/c_fun/3$ ./a.out
address of a1 8047c90, address of b1 8047c80
[jharan at js1]~/dev/c_fun/3$ type gcc
gcc is hashed (/usr/local/bin/gcc)
[jharan at js1]~/dev/c_fun/3$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.4.6

[jharan at js1]~/dev/c_fun/3$

I've seen forward declarations used when the definition of struct a is in one .h file and the definition of struct b is in another and you have source code that wants to declare an instance of struct a or b without needing to include both include files.

Jeff Haran