Links to understand File System

victorascroft at gmail.com victorascroft at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 04:05:25 EDT 2015

Hi,

On 15-04-22 12:47:54, sahil aggarwal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am reading Understanding the linux kernel CH15(ext2 and ext3 file
> systems) and have even started implementation of File system from
> scratch for learning purpose by following this :
>
> https://github.com/psankar/simplefs
>
> Any leads on other links/papers to understand VFS->FS->disk flow better.?

Have a look at the kernel books by Robert Love and Bovet,Cesati.

Also http://www.nongnu.org/ext2-doc/ext2.html

Also for what its worth, since you are interested in FS and how they are
implemented

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~remzi/OSTEP/

Have a look at the chapters in Persistence. The chapters have pretty
good explanations and also note various papers related to file systems
which you can go through.

In addition you might find the following of interest as well

http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2014/xv6.html
You can understand the FS structure in xv6 and start doing your own
improvements on it. For example, xv6 currently uses the direct/indirect
pointer strategy which you can improve to increase max file size which
xv6 currently uses. OR do an extent based file system improvement.
Direct/indirect pointer strategy is used in ext2/3 and ext4 uses
extents. So you can play around in xv6 to learn more about FS while also
cross referencing other FS. And since you do all testing in qemu no
worries of actually breaking stuff.

You also might want to look at xinu, though I have yet to mess around in
what xinu uses in FS.

Hope that helps a bit.

- Sanchayan.