maybe dumb question about RCU

Jeff Haran Jeff.Haran at citrix.com
Fri Apr 10 16:34:02 EDT 2015

When you say "at the beginning", where do you mean? Right before the rcu_read_lock()?
And I assume a preempt_enable() should be in there too? Where would that go?

Though, it doesn't seem like this should make any difference. Disabling preemption would keep other processes from running on the core the reader is on, but the writing via rcu_assign_pointer() could (and probably is) happening on another core.

Thanks,

Jeff Haran