Function Pointer Question

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Apr 2 09:13:38 EDT 2015

On Thu, 02 Apr 2015 06:54:42 -0400, Nicholas Krause said:

> I looked in to it and the kernel seems to be one of the few places where this
> is done along with in line functions.  Why do we need function pointers in the
> kernel, outside of device drivers is my real question and is there any way to
> do the code using them without function pointers at all, I am assuming no.

Geez Nick, you didn't look very hard at all, did you?

[/usr/src/linux-next] find include -type f | xargs egrep '^struct .*_op.*{$' | sort

There's 391 of them (at least in yesterday's linux-next tree).

You should *at least* know and understand 'struct file_operations',
'struct dentry_operations', 'struct inode_operations', and 'struct super_operations"
if you plan to have any realistic hope of understanding the VFS - which should
be important to you, as I seem to recall you were interested in btrfs2.

See include/linux/fs.h for the details.