Test RAM read/write speed

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Sep 29 17:42:00 EDT 2014

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 02:53:05 +0530, Ssagarr Patil said:

> Is there any benchmarking tool to test read/write speed on Linux and which works on ARM ?

This is always a hairy problem.  Do you care about the memory speed of the
DIMM, or the actual *effective* memory speed? They can be very different,
due to the effects of L1/2/3 cache (both positive if there's a cache hit,
and negative if you need a cache line load, or if you need a line load
that requires a cache line writeback first), whether or not you have
a TLB active, and whether *that* has a hit or miss (which varies considerably
if you're walking an array and hitting a miss every 4K bytes, versus
walking a nest of pointers where you get a TLB miss almost every reference),
and a bunch of other issues I lack the caffeine to enumerate...

And of course, the *effective* speed (which is what you should probably care
about rather than the *rated* speed) will differ based on workload due to
the factors listed above....