The Kernel Newbies Crash Course LKD4 Challenge! Play along at home!

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Sep 23 03:47:40 EDT 2014

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014, Dominik Dingel wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 09:24:40 -0400 (EDT)
> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>

> >   Questions?
>
> As the book is IIUC publicly available would it be possible to set
> up a GIT repository with the content and everyone could mark or
> change the pages by e.g. special latex commands and sent you a
> respective patch?
>
> This way it would be easier to see what is already reviewed and does
> not need to change, and there might be even the small chance that
> people could include the requesting change, instead of only putting
> a marker where the change should happen.
>
> The work you have to do should hopefully stays the same, as it would
> be with emails you get?

  i'm not aware that LKD3 is publicly available -- i know LDD3 is. and
in any event, as someone who has edited/pre-pub reviewed *many*
technical books, i can assure you that authors don't want updates
recorded that way, they much prefer bullet points labelled with page
and paragraph number so *they* can decide how that content should be
rewritten.

  i/we are not trying to rewrite the book -- all i'm trying to do is
keep track of what needs updating so that, if there *is* an LKD4, the
author has a concise list of changes. the goal here is to make life
easy for the author, not so much for the rest of us.

  anyway, i just need to finish up a couple things and i can start
adding in some updates people have already sent me.

rday

p.s. i know i mentioned this earlier, but in addition to simple
updates:

 http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Updates_to_LKD3

feel free to suggest improvements to explanations, entirely new
features/subsystems that should be addressed, and so on. whatever
occurs to you, and i'll try to get it onto that page somewhere.

  note that section 5 on that page is the chapter by chapter listing,
so section 5.1 corresponds to chapter 1, and so on.

                        http://crashcourse.ca