The Kernel Newbies Crash Course LKD4 Challenge! Play along at home!

Gustavo Silva silvagustavosilva at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 15:59:03 EDT 2014

>   In the spirit of the Eudyptula Challenge, we here at the Crash
> Course Linux Training Centre and Craft Gin Appreciation Institute
> introduce the LKD4 Challenge. Everyone can play ... fun for the whole
> family, ages 6 and up.
>
>   Seriously, though, if you're looking for something to put your Linux
> kernel understanding to work with a challenge you probably can't get
> kicked out of, here's a suggestion.
>
>   It's sort of explained here:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Updates_to_LKD3
>
> although it's been a while since I've added anything to that page so I
> probably need to do a bit of updating and restructuring, but here's
> the short version.
>
>   There are frequent references on this list to the standard books
> that any kernel newbie should have (along with their common acronyms
> for brevity):
>
>  * LKD3: Linux Kernel Development (3rd ed), by Robert Love
>  * LDD3: Linux Device Drivers (3rd ed), by Corbet et al
>  * ELDD: Essential Linux Device Drivers, by Venkateswaran
>
> Sad part is that at least the first two of those books are starting to
> show their age -- I should know about LKD3, I was the technical
> editor. Yes, you can look inside at the masthead and that's me.
>
>   Now, there is absolutely *no* schedule for an LKD4 (yet), but it
> doesn't hurt to look ahead and prepare for it if it happens. It's
> possible I might tech edit that next edition but, even if not, it
> doesen't hurt to prepare for it, which is why I started that wiki
> page; to start keeping track of everything that would need to be
> updated.
>
>   If you want to play along, the rules are pretty simple (actually,
> the rules are non-existent, you just have to want to participate).
> First, you need a copy of LKD3. And, second, you just need to figure
> out what needs updating. That's about it.
>
>   This doesn't require a massive investment of time -- you don't need
> to tackle entire sections or chapters at once. An update could
> represent something as simple as a change to a single line or single
> paragraph, an update to a filename, a revision to a listed snippet of
> code or what have you.
>
>   You also don't need to try to deal with the whole book -- just pick
> the part of the Linux kernel that most interests you and work on that.
> As for what constitutes reporting an "update", it's pretty flexible
> but it's always best if you try to be complete and provide as much
> context as possible.
>
>   As a hypothetical example, say a listed structure in LKD3 has
> changed since publication -- then that's something that should be
> reported as an update. But don't stop there. Figure out *why* it
> changed, perhaps identify the Git commit where it happened,
> investigate what else might have been affected by the same commit, and
> so on.
>
>   Other things to be reported would naturally include:
>
>   * new features added since publication
> [...]

Hi Robert,

So at this moment the idea is just update the topics as they are currently
covered in LDD3 without going any further?
I mean, the suggestions for topics to be covered in more detail will be
considered by you as a "wish list" or can we also try to start writing down
those details?

Best regards

--
Gustavo Silva