console fonts

John de la Garza john at jjdev.com
Sat Sep 20 12:51:27 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 07:41:17AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> Good luck, and let us know if you get this working, as my machines would
> like to see it happen as well, but I don't know if it is possible.

It is possible!  I just got it working the way I want.

I saw that the kernel messages where using the custom font (the
larger font).  I put a while(1); right before the kernel called init.
The system booted and hung at the while(1); and was using the custom
fonts.  I realized then this was a userspace issue.

I ran dpkg-reconfigure  console-set and went through the menus and choose
the option-> 'Do not change the boot/kernel font'

now it doesn't switch back and I am able to see the cusom font sun 12x22

I was also about to select VGA from the dpkg-reconfigure menu and get
large fonts

I'm really happy about this, because now I can do more work without X,
not have to strain my eyes, and I understand my system a little better.