Loosing stdin/stdout over serial consoleafter bootup

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:53:37 EDT 2014

> according to my understanding if it was a problem of kernel command
> line or a missing config in the kernel , then you wont have got the
> output while booting. but since you are getting the output while
> booting and the output stops once the control is handed over to your
> bash, that implies it is something with the configuration.

Well, my problem is that the 'controlling tty' is somehow NOT the
serial console even if I boot the kernel with console=ttyS0,115200n.
So thats why I was wondering if there some kernel config that could
change that or help me debug it further.

Could be a misbehaving BIOS too. Don't know for sure.

> ofcourse i can be wrong , but if i was in your position now , i would
> have looked at configuration for busybox compilation.

Yeah, thats were I'm poking around right now. Busybox's inittab has a
slightly different interpretation of the commands (eg: the id field is
interpreted as a terminal console (tty0/ttyS0 etc)).

I also suspect the board's BIOS of playing foul. Although I've no idea
how or why.

> i said about filesystem , because you have not mentioned in your first
> mail that you are running busybox. you mentioned x86 board and bash ,
> so it could have been any linux distribution .

Busybox can run off a filesystem too. Although if there was some error
mounting the rootfs I guess I should've seen some error from the
kernel?

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
-mandeep