Loosing stdin/stdout over serial consoleafter bootup

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 12:47:48 EDT 2014

> are you really seriously expecting an answer within 2 hours of posting
> your question, and that too a question not related to any kernel
> problem ?

And how are you so sure about that? It could very well be an incorrect
kernel command line or a missing config in the kernel. So don't jump
to conclusions.

>>> However, once the kernel starts init (i.e bash), I stop seeing any
>>> output. There's no error, no crash anywhere. It just looks like the
>>> stdin/stdout of the application (in this case bash) is not connected
>>> to the serial console.
>
> this is a configuration issue . check if you have a file /etc/inittab .
> usually the setting will be there - but it again depends on the
> filesystem you are using.

This is a busybox build and it's spawning a shell on startup:

::askfirst:-/bin/onie-console

Where onie-console is:

cat bin/onie-console
#!/bin/sh

cat /etc/issue
exec /bin/sh -l

This is being run from the initrd image.

And how is this related to the filesystem?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
-mandeep