Testing Code for Btrfs

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 09:19:36 EDT 2014

On September 6, 2014 9:08:43 AM EDT, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper at gmail.com> wrote:
>some well known filesystem testing tools are listed here:
>
>http://linuxpoison.blogspot.sg/2008/07/linux-filesystem-testing-tools.html
>
>LTP is one of my favorite, very actively updated and basically it focus
>on
>testing kernel as a whole.

That appears to be an older list.  At that time xfstests was xfs only I believe and fio didn't yet exist.

Both are now primary testing tools for filesystem developers.

Xfstests is primarily a set of functional tests.  Close to 300 independent tests at this point.

Fio is primarily a performance testing tool.  It was originally designed to test out performance efforts in the block stack.  It has grown all sorts of features and can be used to test all kinds of work loads, but it remains a performance oriented tool.

Some of the xfstests tests invoke fio to create a background I/o load.

Greg