Better testing when patching divers/staging/ - howto?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Fri Sep 5 16:11:19 EDT 2014

On 05-09-2014 11:54:45, Greg KH wrote:

> > I do not have that much ressources to always build a full kernel for
> > only one patchset, so would it be okay to (locally) merge my patchsets
> > into a temporary branch and build a (allyesconfig) kernel out of all
> > my patchsets?
>
> Why?  If you just change one file, 'make' will only rebuild that one
> file.

Well, there comes git into play: If I do a build for
each branch I have, this takes a huge amount of time for all
patchsets, as when checking out another patchset, files get changed.

At this very moment, I have 15 patchsets ready for submission and one
I'm working on. Doing

    for ps in patchsets; do make -j 8; done

still takes a lot of time then. That's why I asked the question.

> Also do a faster make, with the -j option.  Pass in 2x the number of CPU
> cores you have, so if you have 2 cores do:
> 	make -j4
>
> to get a _much_ faster build.

Of course, I'm already doing this.

> > In addition, I do not have the appropriate hardware to actually _run_
> > the code. I always state this in my patchset messages, of course!
>
> It would be great if you could find some hardware, I really want to just
> delete this driver as no one seems to have the hardware anymore.
> You can only clean up just so much stuff without having to start to
> change the logic in the code, and you need the hardware to test that.

This sounds like the work I'm doing is a waste of time? Shall I
continue with my patches?

If not, I will find another staging driver I can work on, so no
problem! :-)

> hope this helps,

Indeed it does. I did not expect to get an answer directly from you!
Thank you a lot!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,