booting kernel with kvm

Paul Bolle pebolle at tiscali.nl
Wed Oct 15 06:27:41 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 12:17 +0200, Paul Bolle wrote:
> Setting the root device might be tricky to get right when booting a
> virtualized system. At least, I remember fiddling with it. But your
> "root" kernel parameter should be something like:
>     root=/dev/sda1
>
> It rather depends on how your Ubuntu system is setup (ie, what the
> layout is of the image that vmware uses to boot Ubuntu, apparently).

This can't be right! Assuming you really are running qemu (kvm still is
a qemu variant, isn't it?) inside a vmware session: it depends on the
layout of the guest image that qemu uses. And the kvm command line you
quoted mentions no image for qemu to use.

Are you actually trying virtualization inside a virtualized system?

Paul Bolle