Split RAID: Proposal for archival RAID using incremental batch checksum

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Nov 24 13:10:49 EST 2014

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:58:08 +0530, Anshuman Aggarwal said:

> prevents it from directly recognized by file system code . I was
> wondering if Split RAID block devices can be made to be unaware to the
> RAID scheme on top and be fully mountable and usable without the raid
> drivers (of course invalidating the parity if any of them are written

Well, there's two basic cases:

1) You have one device and you're adding a parity device - which is
basically just creating a raid-1 mirror when you get down to it.

2) You have some collection of devices in a stripe/concat/whatever, and are
adding a parity device.  This only works if the existing stripe/concat
is already functional *without* the parity device (which implies that said
stripe or concat has to be an already-supported structure)