gso vs tso

Raj Ravi mekaviraj at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:37:55 EST 2014

TSO is a hardware feature whereas GSO is a software feature.

In the sense, TSO needs "the device" to break the frame into MTU sized segments.
BUT, GSO is a strategy followed by kernel to avoid processing smaller
packets  throughout the stack.

Refer this:
http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc/2008/05/28/checksums-scatter-gather-io-and-segmentation-offload/

<<<
GSO is a generalisation of this in the kernel. The idea is that you
delay segmenting a packet until the latest possible moment. In the
case where a device doesn’t support TSO, this would be just before
passing the skb to the driver. If the device does support TSO, the
unsegmented skb would be passed to the driver.
<<<