Choosing the right environment

Philipp Muhoray philipp.muhoray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:24:53 EST 2014

Am 2014-11-18 um 16:36 schrieb Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 20:54:05 +0530, somebody said:
>>> - I could go with a virtual machine on one of my main machines – But I'm not
>>> quite sure whether the hardware-abstraction will give me troubles when
>>> hacking on hardware drivers (which I want to start with)
> If you're hacking at hardware drivers, you *hopefully* have the hardware
> to test with.  At that point, the *biggest* question is "What does that
> hardware plug into?".   If it's a USB device, you have lots of options for
> the host hardware.  If it's a PCI card, you need a system that has PCI
> slots.  If you're hacking on the Raspberri Pi camera driver, you're kind of
> going to need a Pi.  And so on....

Actually I wanted to hack on hardware I don't have so that you guys
could test it, but your idea seems good as well. Just kidding, of course
I'll check first what HW I have laying around; then I play with it.
By now I'm developing in VirtualBox, doing the Eudyptula challenge. I
think it's the most convenient option so far.

And thanks for answering me. I almost thought my question was too
stupid/naive to be answered.