RT Kernel compile and install help needed.

Chanchal Paul paulchanchal.ece at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 02:37:47 EST 2014

Hi,

I am fairly new to kernel compilation and installation process, still i
managed to learn from Kernelnewbies and RT-wiki and managed to patch
3.12.14 vanilla kernel with rt patch 3.14.12. Then I followed the steps and
installed rt-kernel in my lubuntu vm. While doing "make menuconfig" i
selected preemtion model as BASIC-RT from processor type and features
option. It worked.

Now my confusion arises when i see my uname -a string as "Linux
paul-lubuntu 3.14.12-rt9 #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 28 13:30:27 UTC 2014 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" which indicated that i have a preemptive kernel
installed. but the c program from "
https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RT_PREEMPT_HOWTO" for "Runtime
detection of an RT-PREEMPT Kernel" only prints "this is a vanilla kernel".
So, my question is am I running a vanilla kernel or a real-time kernel? If
I am not then what are the steps to properly install a real-time kernel?

Thanking you for giving attention to my mail.