Choosing the right environment

Philipp Muhoray philipp.muhoray at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 10:41:36 EDT 2014

Hello there,

After reading LDD and LKD, I feel ready to start some actual kernel
hacking. Therefore I wanted to ask you what environment I should use in
the beginning. I have several options, but I'm not sure on which one to
set up my workspace:

- I could develop directly on and against my main machines
(desktop/laptop) – This is probably not a good idea, since they are used
in „production“ and I don't want to mess things up there

- I could go with a virtual machine on one of my main machines – But I'm
not quite sure whether the hardware-abstraction will give me troubles
when hacking on hardware drivers (which I want to start with)

- I could also use my Raspberry Pi – I'm only afraid that the slightly
different environment (SD card instead of hard disk, ARM instead of x86,
limited I/O) could turn out to be a larger obstacle than I thought

- I have some pretty old stand alone desktops which I could use – But
the hardware is so old (2004ish)

I think my preference is the Raspberry Pi, because I would work on
actual modern hardware without worrying about messing things up. Are
there some drawbacks I'm not considering? Or am I just overthinking
this? What did you use in the beginning?

Best regards,

Philipp