Download Linus's latest git tree

Anand Moon moon.linux at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 06:21:50 EDT 2014

Hi Validis,

Thanks for this new approach.

-Anand Moon

On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:07 PM, "Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu" <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
On Tue, 27 May 2014 00:16:52 -0700, Anand Moon said:
> Please share your thoughts on this.

I'd do it slightly differently, by keeping a master copy of Linus's
tree, and a separate tree for the -stable additions (and other separate
trees for linux-next or whatever else you feel like...)

I keep my git trees under /usr/src - feel free to stick them elsewhere if
that makes your workflow or disk management easier. Just remember to fix
any pathnames.. :)

1) Get yourself a copy of Linus's tree, almost same as before:

cd /usr/src
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git linux

Note we called it 'linux', not 'linux-stable'.  Remember the full path for this
(I keep this one in /usr/src/linux, so that's what I'll use below)

Note - this tree should be updated via this.  The other trees are different

cd /usr/src/linux
git pull

2) Make a clone of that tree to use as 'stable':

cd /usr/src
git clone --local /usr/src/linux linux-stable

You now have a copy in /usr/src/linux-stable.  Also, *this* clone is
local only, so you don't have to re-fetch Linus's tree.

git remote add stable git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
git fetch stable
git fetch --tags stable

This tree you should *NOT* use 'git pull' - use 'git remote update' or
'git fetch v3.specifictag'

3) If you want to get a copy of the linux-next tree as well, it's easy, almost the
same workflow:

cd /usr/src/
git clode --local /usr/src/linux linux-next
git remote add linux-next git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
git fetch linux-next

(And again, update via 'git remote update' or 'git fetch'....)

Now the interesting part is that you can do 'git checkout' on all 3 trees
*and they're independent* - so you can (for instance) have 3 different
'git bisects' in different stages of completion.  Or check out the
Linus 3.10 kernel to see how code *used* to be, and the linux-stable
3.14.5 to see how it is *now*, and so on.  Or you can check out the Linus
v3.15-rc7 or the current linux-next, and see what patches *aren't* in
the current linux-stable... or whatever else you feel like doing....