large frame size warning when compiling

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri May 9 11:30:26 EDT 2014

On Fri, 09 May 2014 17:39:21 +0530, Jay Aurabind said:

> So shouldnt we assume that initial value (somewhere around 6K) should be
> enough since the maximum it went down is only till its 50% mark ?

Depends.  Are you of the "we haven't seen it before, so it can't happen"
school of programming, or the "it could plausibly happen, so we should
guard against it" school?

Consider you get down to that 6K mark - and now you hit that 1K allocation
that you didn't bother cleaning up because "we've never seen it before".  And
then you hit a hardIRQ that *also* didn't bother cleaning up their 1K allocation
that *that* kernel hacker "had never seen it before".  What happens to your
system?  And how long is it going to take for you to figure out why every
several weeks, your system dies with a totally different random memory
overlay?