Does register_chrdev function make device file under /dev ?

김찬 ckim at etri.re.kr
Tue Mar 11 08:58:50 EDT 2014

Hi, Mandeep, Thanks for clearing some things for me.

For accessing the device in kernel code, I think maybe we can use the /proc or /sys file system.
(I remember seeing people saying something like that.. correct me if I'm wrong)

> I think you need to point getty or a shell to the correct tty before you
> can see o/p on the screen. Do you know which device file you're supposed
> to create for the LCD? If so, just use that in your inittab.
> Something like:
>
> ::askfirst:-/bin/sh

The problem is, after the final sys_execve() which executes /sbin/init of the ramdisk, I cannot see any shell coming up so I cannot use getty command.
Using some prints on separate uart print routine, I can see from the kbd_event function the key value is going to current vc which is using tty1. The key value is then handed to put_queue function where the character is somehow copied to tty buffer. Flush_to_ldisc is scheduled for it and it will probably get passed on to the virtual console.
Added to this, there is a notifier_call_chain and the notifier block is registered by vcs_poll_data_get function which I don't know weather is necessary or not. So one of my questions is  if vcs is necessary for my case. (I guess not. There is no other notifier blocks registered)

I gathered without inittab (I don't use inittab which should be ok for most cases) the assumed default inittab
tty2::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty3::askfirst:-/bin/sh
tty4::askfirst:-/bin/sh
is being applied by the busybox so there maybe 3 shells on tty2,tty3, and tty4 running somewhere.
But even if there are shells running I don't know how to switch to those ttys.
I tried using Ctrl-Alt F2 (or F3, F4) using the USB keyboard to switch to tty2,3,4 to see if any shell comes up on the LCD but couldn't see it.
I tried using inittab with no avail before.

I hope somebody could point me on what should be checked. Any hint will be appreciated.
Regards,
Chan