Does register_chrdev function make device file under /dev ?

김찬 ckim at etri.re.kr
Tue Mar 11 01:25:50 EDT 2014

Hi,

This should be a basic question.
Does the regisetr_chrdev function make the device file under /dev directory?
I am running linux on our embedded system and inside vcs_init, register_chrdev is called as below.

int __init vcs_init(void)
{
        unsigned int i;
        if (register_chrdev(VCS_MAJOR, "vcs", &vcs_fops))
                panic("unable to get major %d for vcs device", VCS_MAJOR);

I can see the function is returning ok but I don't see any vcs* file under /dev.
Does it only register the device on /sys or /proc directory and not under /dev?
Thanks in advance.

Chan