guidelines for kernel module development in linux

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 7 20:09:59 EST 2014

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 15:52:11 +0530, pravin jadav said:

>  i want to develop a kernel module that will scan page cache and find the
> pfn of those pages that have a same content in cache and in secondary
> storage like physical disk, so please give me some idea how should i start
> to develop kernel module

What problem are you trying to solve by doing this?  (Hint - how do you
know what the copy in secondary storage contains, without reading it in?)

Also, note that it's quite possble that there *is* no valid secondary storage
copy of a page (particularly between when a file is created, and the first
writeback of a page, but there's other instances as well).  Plus there's
lots of race conditions.  Just checking the 'dirty' bit for the page that
says whether a writeback is needed may or may not be the right answer, depending
on what it is you';re actually trying to do....