Inline functions

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 7 20:06:15 EST 2014

On 01 Mar 2014 10:04:23 +0000, "Summi" said:

> a) inline functions in .c file --> Will it be correct to have inline function
> declared in .c file? I am speaking with respect to device driver meant for the
> linux kernel. I have a function, which is quite short in terms of function body
> and it is exported from one module to another.

If a function is truly inlined, what address is used to be exported?

(Though gcc stops you from that idiocy - if you take the address of the
function, gcc will emit a non-inlined version whether you like it or
not.  Of course, external references to that function will involve
a function call and not be inlined.)

Most of the kernel sticks a 'static inline' in a .h file that's included
in every .c that needs it, and doesn't bother with the EXPORT_SYMBOL.