[Printing-architecture] Google Summer of Code 2014 - IPP-over-USB printer support - Joint project idea for OpenPrinting and the kernel

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Mar 4 20:00:42 EST 2014

Carlos,

On Mar 4, 2014, at 5:28 PM, Carlos Rimola <crimola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have a couple of "simple" follow-up questions on IPP USB (IPP-over-USB) "Host device" support:
>
> Is IPP USB designed to support connecting and printing from a device like a tablet or smartphone (e.g., iPad, iPhone, Etc.) directly connected to a printer over USB?

Honestly, no.  Who would want to tether their mobile device to print something?

Wi-Fi (and soon Wi-Fi Direct) offer ways of printing from mobile devices to these same printers (most of which already have Wi-Fi and/or Ethernet interfaces...)

> Or is IPP USB designed only for Hosts like Linux or Mac acting as print servers/gateways for these, and other, devices?

It is mainly for existing desktop/portable/personal server/NAS/other-embedded usage that currently relies on the old USB printer class protocol and printer drivers.  The (hopefully not too) long term goal is to eliminate the need for printer drivers, much as today you don't need a special driver for a USB keyboard or mouse.  (and like keyboards and mice you might still get some software from the vendor to provide additional functionality, but generally you'll be able to just plug a printer in and print something without installing extra software...)

For IPP USB in particular I think we'll see adoption by NAS and other network boxes that already provide primitive printer sharing.