v3.15 kernel panic, bisecting didn't help

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:47:58 EDT 2014

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 15:35:20 -0500, Greg Donald said:
> I can boot v3.15.0-rc8 but not v3.15.0 (full kernel panic below).
>
> I tried bisecting, I did
>
> git bisect v3.15 v.3.15-rc8
>
> After 7 compile and reboot cycles I don't think I was able to find the
> bad commit.  Every bisection booted with no problems.  I ran "git
> bisect good" each time until I finally got to this:

Can you tell us the output of 'git bisect log'?

> Also, this is my first bisection attempt, and on my 5th version the rc
> version jumped from 8 to 3 for some reason:

> Not sure if that rc3 jump is a sign of my novice git bisecting skills
> or what, but I don't know where to go from here.  Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

No, that's actually normal. All it means is that the bisect was sitting
on a commit that originally got added to an upstream maintainer's tree
during the -rc3 timeframe.  I've had bisects that have gone as much as
2 entire releases and then some - so I'll have (for instance) v3.15-rc6 as
the 'bad', and 'head' as the good, and I'll have 3.13-rc2 and ancient stuff
like that show up. :)